The best self-cleaning steam irons offer some great benefits and last for years without much additional maintenance. However, with so many options available, choosing the right self-cleaning steam iron for your needs can be a little difficult.
To make your search easier, we’re reviewing the top self-cleaning steam irons for 2020 here. We also have a detailed buyers guide with some handy tips to ensure that you make the right decision!
What Is the Best Self-Cleaning Steam Iron on the Market?
Table of Contents
- 1 What Is the Best Self-Cleaning Steam Iron on the Market?
- 2 Why Should You Choose a Self-Cleaning Steam Iron?
- 3 Comparison Table
- 4 The 7 Best Self-Cleaning Steam Irons Reviewed
- 5 Best Self Cleaning Steam Irons – Buyers Guide
- 6 Related Steam Iron Reviews:
Why Should You Choose a Self-Cleaning Steam Iron?
Before we talk more about our top self-cleaning picks, let’s help you understand why you need one in the first place.
Self-cleaning steam irons are user-friendly and long-lasting products. Unlike traditional steam irons, self-cleaning steam irons don’t collect calcium deposits. This means that the steam holes stay unclogged and the soleplate remains good as new even after everyday use. These irons are especially great for all those people who have hard water in their houses and are tired of their steam iron giving up on them every now and then.
The 7 Best Self-Cleaning Steam Irons Reviewed
Our first pick is the PurSteam Professional Grade Steam Iron. This machine does not only come with an efficient self-cleaning feature, but has also been built with a Rapid Even Heat technology which allows the iron to produce heated steam that is evenly distributed over garments. The result? Completely wrinkle free clothing in a matter of minutes.
- Premium quality
Anti-calc to prevent mineral buildup
- Fast and effective wrinkle remover
- Auto-shutoff design for safety
- Easy to select ideal steam output
Whether you want to iron silk scarves or coarse curtains, the Maytag M400 Steam Iron is perfect for you! This product features a highly precise thermostat that ensures effective wrinkle removal without any risk of burning. The best part is that even after rigorous use, this iron will stay good as new thanks to its anti-calc and anti-scale feature.
- Heats up quickly
- Anti-calc to prevent mineral buildup and unsightly stains
- Easily gliding soleplate
- Compact design for easier storage
If you’re a fan of the popular flat irons from CHI, then you will be absolutely blown away by this CHI steam iron as well. The soleplate of this steam iron has been made with the same titanium-infused ceramic as their haircare tools to give your clothes a professional, neat look. Besides that, the soleplate also features 400 steam holes that generate powerful steam bursts to effectively remove even the toughest of wrinkles.
- Titanium-infused ceramic soleplate
- Powerful steam output
- Self-cleaning design
- Easy to use and store
- Retractable cord
If you’re looking for a self cleaning steam iron that gets the job without costing a fortune, then the Martisan steam iron is the best pick for you. This iron features an easy-to-glide Teflon soleplate, a steam burst option, and an efficient self-cleaning system all at an extremely affordable price. It can be used both horizontally and vertically and is suitable for all kinds of fabrics.
- 5 temperature options
- Special non-stick layers
- Can be used on multiple fabric types
- High thermal conductivity
Another good, budget-friendly option is the Viasonic Executive Steam Iron. The best part about this product is that it’s actually more than just a steam iron. In fact, it’s an all-in-one machine that can be used for steam ironing, dry ironing, and spraying. It also comes with a stainless steel sole plate and adjustable heat and steam settings leaving you with crisp, wrinkle-free clothes every time.
- Adjustable thermostat control
- Anti-drip and anti-calc design
- Stainless steel soleplate
- LED light for alerts
If you love how easy to use steam irons are but also want to achieve those neat creases that dry irons make, then the Jerdon J513B steam iron is the best option for you! This iron comes with a non stick soleplate and spray feature that removes stubborn wrinkles from all types of clothing, all while creating neat creases on your shirts and trouser. The self-cleaning features ensures durability and optimal performance each time!
- Nonstick soleplate
- Automatic shutoff design
- 1-year limited warranty
- 1200 watts of power
This powerful self-cleaning steam iron from Kealive offers a number of benefits. The anti-drip design ensures that you’ll be able to remove the toughest wrinkles from all your favorite clothes without worrying about staining them and the retractable cord makes storage hassle-free. The steam iron also doubles as a steamer for hanging clothes and can be used to make your entire wardrobe look clean and fresh in no time!
Best Self Cleaning Steam Irons – Buyers Guide
Tips On Using Self Cleaning Steam Irons
Thinking about buying one of the best self-cleaning steam irons for yourself? Here are a few tips that will help you make the most of your new appliance and prevent accidents.
- Always remember to fill the tank with clean water. Avoid using scented water at all costs because it can stain your fabric.
- If you have children, always remember to keep hot irons as well as their cords out their reach.
- Don’t iron the buttons directly as the hot soleplate or steam may melt the buttons and stain your garment.
- Ironing over zippers or other metal details on your garment can scratch and damage the soleplate of your iron and should be avoided.
Now, that you’ve gone through some basic guidelines, let’s talk about how you can use the self-cleaning feature. The self-cleaning function should only be used once in two weeks. However, if you are using hard water, you can use the self-cleaning function a little more frequently.
Here are some tips to use the self-cleaning function of your new iron:
- The first thing you must do is ensure that your iron is switched off and that it is not even plugged in the main supply socket.
- Then, the steam control should be set to the steam position. After that, you should make sure that your iron’s water tank is completely filled with water.
- Before you plug the iron in, make sure that iron is placed in the standing position. After switching the power supply on, you should set your iron’s temperature control to the highest level. Once you have done this, let your iron heat up while watching the temperature indicator light; once it turns off, you can safely unplug it.
- You should then hold the iron over a sink while making sure that the soleplate is facing downwards.
- The self-cleaning button should then be pressed and held down until the iron’s water tank becomes empty. Once there’s no more water in the tank, the self-cleaning button can be released.
Types of Steam Irons
There are all kinds of different steam irons available on the market today, each of which comes with a different set of functions and features. Here are some of the most commonly available types of steam irons:
Traditional steam irons without self clean system
As the name suggests, these steam irons do not have a self-cleaning feature. These irons are suitable for people who have access to filtered water with minimal mineral content.
Self-cleaning steam iron
These irons are gaining popularity because they have the ability to clean all by themselves. Most steam irons nowadays have this specific feature as it helps elongate the life of the machine. The self cleaning feature makes the iron more durable by removing any mineral deposit buildup from the steam holes. With the holes nice and clean, the iron stays in pristine condition even after long term use. This type of iron is especially great for households with hard water.
How to Choose the Best Self-Cleaning Steam Iron
By now, you’re probably convinced of the benefits of a self cleaning steam iron and are probably interested in buying one for yourself. If so, keep reading to know what important aspects you must consider and what features and functions you should look out for before making the purchase.
Auto shutoff is an essential feature because it can help in preventing fires and injuries. This is why it is recommended that you do your research when you’re searching for one of the best self-cleaning irons for yourself.
If you need to remove very stubborn wrinkles, get an iron with a surge button. A surge button delivers extra steam, which helps smooth out stubborn wrinkles.
An iron with clear and accessible temperature control helps provide optimal results without burning. Some irons have an indicator light that lets users know if the power is on.
A retractable cord is a must-have if you’re short on storage space. Make sure you select an iron that comes with a retractable cord that retracts easily and doesn’t whip.
In-Depth Guide: Choose the Best Steam Iron With A Retractable Cord
Dripping irons can cause a huge mess and can stain your favorite clothes very easily. We recommend buying irons with anti-drip features to prevent leakage and other issues.
The vertical steaming feature comes in handy if you want to use the iron to remove wrinkles from hanging garments.